Morrocan Carrot Salad
Ingredients & Recipe
- 8-10 carrots
- 2 cups spinach, stem removed, leaves finely sliced
- 3/4 cup dried dates, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- pinch of himalayan or sea salt
- 3 - 4 tbsp dukkah (you can purchase dukkah at your local supermarket)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- zest of 2 lemons
- 5 tbsp cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
In a large serving bowl place all the ingredients for the salad except the dukkah and mix well.
Dressing: place all the ingredients into a screw top jar and shake well.
To serve, pour the dressing over the salad and mix until well combined. Sprinkle the dukkah over the top before serving. This salad is seriously delicious and super easy!
This recipe is from the Ripe Recipe cook book, ‘A Third Helping’. Ripe Cafe would have to be one of my favourite all time cafes for their amazing, delicious, nutritious salads!
CARROTS get their colour from antioxidants called carotenoids. One of these carotenoids is beta carotene, a precursor to active vitamin A, the powerhouse vitamin that has huge benefits to our health. Beta carotene is crucial for improving immunity in the body, protecting skin and eye health, and fighting free radical damage that can cause chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease. Carrots also provide ample amounts of vitamins C, D, E and K, as well as many minerals such as magnesium, potassium and calcium. Carrots are cleansing due to their high fibre content, so if you need more fibre in your diet, this salad will give you all the health benefits that can help nearly every part of your body!